The Edo State Government, led by Governor Obaseki, implemented the Edo Basic Education Sector Transformation (EdoBEST) programme to improve basic education across the state. Through EdoBEST, the government is transforming learning outcomes for the 300,000 children across 1,029 public primary and 471 junior secondary schools in Edo State. EdoBEST is a Government designed and lead programme that is re-training all 15,000 government teachers – novice and experienced – to be technologically supported and empowered teachers.
Under EdoBEST, The Edo Supporting Teachers to Achieve Results (Edo STAR) programme is a hands-on government teacher training initiative forming a core pillar of the State’s reform agenda for basic education. The programme is developing a more highly skilled teaching workforce by training, supporting and motivating Edo State teachers to succeed in the classroom of tomorrow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Officer, People Operations
Employment Type: Full-time
About the Role
- We are looking for a dynamic, detailed, individual to support our People team on payroll and related compliance with Statutory Authorities.
- The ideal candidate is one who takes pride in accurate work, has great attention to detail and is very resourceful.
- This is a generalist role, and the officer will support all People functions for EdoBEST, including administration, people operations, employee engagement, employee onboarding, and other areas as needed. Based in Nigeria, this role reports to the Manager, People.
What You Will Do
- Coordinate the processing, remittance, reconciliation and reporting of all payroll related statutory liabilities (PAYE, NHF, Pension), ensuring EdoBEST’s compliance with all payroll related tax laws and regulations.
- Preparation and prompt submission of payroll related inputs for EdoBEST and review the same for accuracy in terms of claims, allowances, tax relief and deductions.
- Administer statutory audit (concerning PAYE, ITF, NHF, Pension, NSITF) process and respond promptly to payroll related queries raised by tax authorities and other regulatory bodies, preparing PAYE audit support data for external auditor’s use.
- Enroll all staff under relevant insurance cover.
- Collate documentation and process ITF training approvals and contribution reimbursement to the organisation.
- Keep accurate and up to date records of all payroll related payments made to statutory authorities
- Register new NewGlobe Nigeria-based staff with regulatory agencies to avert penalties that may arise.
- Support employee onboarding as needed.
- Support employee lifecycle and People Operations functions, as needed.
- Support administration as needed.
- Support any other People functions as needed.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent – preferably in Accounting/Finance or related related course
- 3 – 5 years experience in similar roles
- Demonstrable Experience in payroll management and statutory compliance
- Heavy contacts with Regulatory agencies, (e.g. PENCOM, NHF, ITF, NSITF, Tax offices, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of the Nigeria Labour Law and regulations of the field is required
- Proficient in MS Office excel
- Outstanding organisational ability with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Problem solving, analytical and conceptual skills
- High ethical standard and level of integrity
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organised and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part ofit that is unjust.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online