United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Contracts Specialist, NOC
Job Number: 557934
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Supply Management
TA: 364 days
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the direct supervision and guidance of the P3 Supply Specialist (Supply Section), the incumbent will coordinate the planning and implementing of a sound and sustainable procurement process, including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management and performance measurement UNICEF’s construction works, in support of operations and program objectives.
Below is a summary of key Functions and Accountabilities:
- Collaboration with UNICEF Programmes and government counterparts through involvement of in programme supply planning and preparation for implementation of supply component as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Conduct surveys to identify potential construction companies and engineering firms available in the local market; prepare terms of reference required for establishing local Long-Term Arrangements for engineering services (design and site supervision).
- Preparation of BLPA requests with supporting documents related to construction activities and share with Supply Division HQ for approval.
- Prepare Statement of Works, Terms of Reference, solicitation documents, Contracts, Grant Agreements and other documents required for project implementation in cooperation with UNICEF Construction Unit, Contracting Centre in Copenhagen.
- Assist in bidding processes; manage the pre-qualification and short-listing of bidders, preparations of bids, issuance of bids, pre-bid conference, receipt and opening of bids Coordinate the tender evaluation process (Technical and financial) after bid opening and bid evaluation, recommendation of award, contracts negotiations, contract finalization and issuance.
- Develop and implement systems for internal control that would ensure compliance with contractual terms and conditions, in collaboration with the program team.
- Make recommendations for payments upon review of certified invoices from constrcution engineers.
- Monitor and analyse contract performance against agreed benchmarks and through agreed reporting mechanism. Advise Construction Manager on any potential issues and recommend remedial actions or solutions.
- Negotiate, within the terms and conditions of the contract, solutions to conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations.
- Frequently convene meetings with contractors to allow ample opportunity for the identification and early resolution of potential disputes.
- Realize syntheses of lessons learnt and best practices in procurement /contract management.
- Develop appropriate contract management tools, guidelines and manuals for standardization and knowledge sharing purposes.
- Ensure key meetings and work procedures are properly documented and institutionalized.
- Engage and involve government counterparts as appropriate, to facilitate contract management as well as to contribute to the capacity building
To Qualify as an Advocate For Every Child You Will Have
- Advanced Degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Contracts / Commercial law, Construction Engineering other relevant areas.
- A First level University Degree with additional three-years of relevant work experience in construction or engineering field may be acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience, at the national and/or international levels, in project management, Business Administration, supply chain management, contract law site supervision, quality assurance and/or other directly-related technical fields is required.
- Working proficiency in Microsoft tools (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)
- Emergency experience an advantage, especially in Nigeria, and a willingness to travel to all locations in Nigeria.
- Experience working with the UN systems in similar function is highly desirable. Proficiency with working with SAP systems.
- Working experience in UN or other international development organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, You Demonstrate
- UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: https://uni.cf/UNICEFValues
UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Innovates and embraces change
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively with others
- Nurtures, leads and manages people.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
Application Closing Date
27th December, 2022 (W. Central Africa Standard Time).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children.
- For this position, eligible and suitable female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions.
- Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF.
- UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.