Stakeholder Democracy Network is an International non-governmental organization that helps facilitate community development from a rights-based perspective. SDN operates in the Niger Delta where it helps the communities affected by oil exploitation and the challenges of resource curse. SDN has five pillar issues that represent significant long held grievances and acute problems that we are trying to resolve. These are: Access to Energy, Democratisation, Environment, Resilient Communities, and Resource Governance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Officer
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports to: Programme Manager
- The Communication Officer will work closely with their counterpart in the UK Office to drive our communications strategy and deliver day-to-day communications work.
- The ideal candidate should be a creative and innovative thinker capable of identifying and developing compelling visuals and stories that can appeal to the minds and hearts of our target audiences.
- They should be able to capture stunning and professional photographs and videos, as well as excellent storytelling and copy-editing skills. The ideal candidate should be able to multi-task and work across project teams simultaneously and seamlessly. This role will also require travel to remote field locations to develop stories and capture visuals for SDN’s communications materials.
- This role will specifically require at least 3 – 4 years of relevant experience in managing and producing publications; copywriting and editing; producing and designing communications content; website and social media content; and contributing to the development and implementation of campaigns.
- These are tasks which are crucial to keeping our basic communications functions running, so you’ll need a portfolio demonstrating proficiency inAdobe CC in particular Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, and website management via a WordPress CMS.
The purpose of the role is to develop and manage SDN’s communications activities to maximise the influence of our work. The role has three main objectives:
- To develop and manage SDN’s communications systems and processes.
- To directly support the communications elements of SDN projects (e.g. events, publications and campaigns).
- To build a strong external presence and awareness of SDN and its work.
Objective 1: To develop and manage SDN’s communications systems and processes:
- Develop and manage systems and processes for communications activities and ensure these are followed (e.g. for the development of publications, and website updates).
- Act as a brand guardian and champion, advising others to ensure all content and messaging is on-brand.
- Maintain a document management system of communication materials.
- Monitor the performance of SDN’s communications (e.g. via website analytics)
- Support the development and implementation of the SDN communications strategy.
Objective 2: To directly support the communications elements of SDN projects (e.g. events, publications and campaigns):
- Support and manage the development and delivery of project-level communications plans. This includes designing and producing website and social media content; managing publication development and dissemination; supporting the delivery of campaigns, events and other stakeholder engagements; and tracking communications expenses.
- Write high-quality, compelling copy in a range of styles, primarily for social media, websites and press releases.
- Work with external photographers, filmmakers and designers to commission and produce content including graphics and video.
- Line/project manage, or coordinate, communications staff as necessary to ensure coordinated external communications, field support to projects, and efficient application of communications human resources.
Objective 3: To build a strong external presence and awareness of SDN and its work:
- Develop and own all communications channels to ensure key audiences are being reached through email (e.g. mailing list), social media, the website, and other channels.
- Design and produce content for social media, website, and email channels.
- Support the management of media requests and the development of a network of media contacts.
- Represent SDN at external meetings and events as requested
- To abide by SDN’s policies, including its Code of Conduct, Safeguarding Policy and Anti-Fraud and Corruption policy
- Where relevant, line manage team members, and manage the work of consultants/external partners
- Any other duties that are reasonably asked of you
The work we do here at SDN varies from day to day so we need someone dynamic and reliable, who can work under pressure and deliver efficiently and effectively. The successful candidate will have:
- Candidates should possess a Master’s Degree qualification.
- 4+ years of communications experience working in a multi-channel communications role.
- Experience in copywriting, editing, and proofreading.
- Experience in professional photography and creating videos.
- Experience in story-telling that targets different audiences.
- Experience in coordinating and producing publications.
- Experience in managing, developing and updating content for outlets such as websites and social media.
- Experience in managing a WordPress website CMS, including Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), site navigation, Gutenberg page structuring, and content updates with basic HTML knowledge.
- Demonstrable competence in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign.
- Track record of communications project delivery, such as campaign planning and implementation and evaluation, and achieving key campaign objectives.
- Ability to manage staff in a matrix-management structure and remotely, and/or experience managing/coordinating the work of others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of people at all levels.
- Flare for writing concise, compelling copy in plain English, according to a house Style Guide.
- Experience with Google Analytics 4, AdWords, and Search Console.
- Competence in Adobe Premiere Pro/video editing.
- A good eye for what makes a photograph effective, and technical knowledge of DSLRs.
- Experience in creating specifications for colleagues embarking on content-gathering field trips.
N300,000 – N400,000 monthly
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) as a single MS word or PDF document to: email@example.com using “Communication Officer” as the subject of the mail.
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive further correspondence.
- For further information on SDN, visit www.stakeholderdemocracy.org