The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Division Customs Capacity Building and Training (AfCFTA)
Requisition ID: 1660
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Director Customs Administration
Directorate/Department : Customs Administration Directorate (AfCFTA)
Number of Direct Reports: 4
Number of Indirect Reports: 2
Number of Positions: 1
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Responsible for the development of Customs Services through the implementation of AfCFTA Conventions, guidelines and tools.
- Collaborate with States Parties on strategies and priorities in the areas of capacity building, training and technical assistance
- Work with stakeholders to ensure Customs effectiveness through capacity building tools, instruments and initiatives
- Oversee and regularly review Customs capacity building activities, including the dissemination of Customs best practices
- Develop a publicprivate partnership to build the capacity of Customs in States Parties
- Is Responsible for all capacity building activities assigned by Customs Director.
- Develop and maintain guidance, tools and Customs AfCFTA programmes.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned and/or required by the Director
- Leads and advises on policy and programme development for capacity building
- Develops and maintains a close working relationship with the other Directorates of the AfCFTA to efficiently share resources, manage workload and coordinate the crosscutting work and activities.
- Provides strategic development advice to Members and represents the Secretariat/Capacity Building division at appropriate meetings.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Business, Development Economics, International Relations, International Trade, International Law, Political Science or relevant disciplines with Twelve (12) years of relevant experience at increasingly senior levels in the field of corporate communications. Seven (7) of these years should be at the senior management level and five (5) should involve a supervisory role.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
- Ability to develop and delegate clear programme goals, plans and actions, that are consistent with agreed strategies
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decisionmaking authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
- High degree of independence, maturity and initiative
- Ability to handle challenging questions and difficult stakeholders
- Ability to manage time and prioritize work
- Be flexible, adaptable and open to change
- Proficiency in one of the AU officials working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage;
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Fosters Innovation
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 27,290.88.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
8th March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.