The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protocol Officer (AfCFTA)
Requisition ID: 1623
Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports to: Protocol Officer (P2)
Directorate/Department: Protocol Services
Division: Protocol Division
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P1
Number of Positions: 01
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Support the development and deliver a range of protocol activities during events such as training/information seminars, conferences, publicity events, dinners and luncheons in line with protocol policies, strategies and programmes within the AfCFTA Secretariat
- Assist on the following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan;
- Provide support in implementation of programs, policies and procedures within the division;
- Assist in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use;
- Provide support to senior officers in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area;
- Participate in the organisation of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders;
- Assist in engagement with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop relationships as may be delegated;
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets;
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist in the preparation of protocol information guidelines for delegates and participants of AfCFTA meetings on the modalities of accreditation and seating plans
- Assist in the preparation of the Diplomatic list of State Parties of the AfCFTA and keep protocol related documents of historical value and ensure their periodical update
- Assist in securing and maintaining ceremonial items such as Mast flags; desk flags, car pennant and name plates of Member States are properly procured and correctly used in appropriate places
- Provide protocol assistance to staff and handle in-house and external enquiries
- Undertake Airport duties of welcoming/and seeing-off VIPs and other personalities at the airport, VIP lounge arrangements, etc…
- Maintains working relationship with airline personnel, immigration and custom officers under the guidance of the Manager;
- Oversees the work of the staff under his supervision;
- Oversees the processing of Exit Visas for the departing staff;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations and Diplomacy, Public Administration, Humanities or any other related discipline with 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Ability to successfully manage ambiguity
- Ability to work across business units / geographies; cultural sensitivity
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage;
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountable and Complies with Rules
- Learning Orientation
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result:
- Continuous Improvement Focus
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$25,523.00 (P1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 21,196.80 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
8th March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.