The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Weather Modelling Scientist and Forecaster
Requisition ID: 1601
Location: Douala, Cameroun
Reports to: ClimSA/GFCS Project Coordinator (line reporting) & ECCAS Project Unit Coordinator
Directorate/Department: Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy
Division: Sustainable Environment
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Purpose of Job
- The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS) through the Intra-ACP Climate Services and Related Application (ClimSA) programme.
- The programme addresses the issue of climate information throughout the entire supply chain of climate services covering generation and provision of climate services, access to information, user interface platforms, and capacity enhancement of critical players including, but not limited to, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) of Member States, and Regional Climate Centres (RCCs). It aims to enable Member States to develop and incorporate science-based climate information and prediction into development planning and decision-making at all levels, and to better manage risks of climate variability and change, Furthermore, it enhances policy and decision-making at continental, regional, national, community, and individual levels.
- The AUC is responsible for the overall continental coordination of the programme implementation, which includes the development and application of weather and climate information services; facilitation of capacity building for RECs and Member States; fostering sharing of best practices and coordinating knowledge management; procurement and supply of equipment for Member States and Regional Climate Centres; establishing and operationalization of the continental monitoring and reporting framework; facilitation of preparation of Africa State of Climate Reports and Outlooks; prudent management of financial resources; and monitoring and evaluation. The AUC is also directly responsible for the management and implementation of the project in the ECCAS region.
- Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator and in close collaboration with the members of the Project Unit, the Weather Modelling Scientist and Forecaster is responsible for production system development and tailoring.
- Develop advanced weather and climate modelling and prediction production system;
- Develop tailored products through the applications of specialized analytical, dynamical and statistical methods; provide training and technical skills in product development, data analysis, and variational data assimilation to CAPC-AC staff and NMHSs;
- Running regional model based on specific parameterization (convection permitting, ), develop and improve digital and computer models to predict atmospheric processes and improve forecast accuracy;
- Conduct daily, sub-seasonal to seasonal forecast;
- Support the establishment and effective functioning of sectoral User Interface Platforms (UIPs), regional Climate Services Information Systems (CSIS), Climate Data Management Systems (CDMS), infrastructure and other systems;
- designing, development, production and dissemination of Weather forecast and climate monitoring products;
- Designing of tailored products for different development sector namely health, agriculture and DRM, collaborate regarding product development and dissemination;
- coordinating all aspects regarding modeling (running models on HPC and all meteorological equipment) and scripting of all designed product agreed with users (DRR, Agriculture and Health sectors);
- Recommending every new procedure to partners in order to implement the creating and putting together all different aspects regarding new predictors in the ECCAS region, and finally, putting together all results from others projects in meteorology and climate in order to improve forecasts (doing seamless prediction)
- Collecting meteorological data from satellite images, radars, remote sensors and weather stations from the CEEAC sub-region;
- Analyzing, disseminating and exploiting meteorological information (temperature, rainfall, sunshine, humidity, wind speed and air pressure / flow, etc.);
- Coding weather reports for their transmission on international networks;
- Produce weather graphs, maps and animations for weather presentations;
- Monitor the variability of the seasons;
- Strengthen the capacities of national systems (NMHSs) and CAPC-AC;
- Conduct research on weather change patterns and write reports;
- Present the results of the work to the public and to special interest groups;
- Represent the project and the CAPC-AC at the international weather meeting.
- Execute any other duties related to the programme as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s University Degree in one or more of the following fields: Meteorology, Atmospheric Physics, and Higher Mathematics with at least five (5) years of relevant professional experience of which at least two (2) years should be at an equivalent or higher level at an international level.
- Master’s Degree in the above indicated areas of study, with at least two (2) years of relevant professional experience at an international level.
- A higher academic qualification will be an added advantage.
- Have computer training and demonstrable training in computer modeling;
- Experience working in the fields of meteorology, climate change, environment, atmospheric modeling, and disaster risk reduction
- Modelling and prediction experience is preferred, with solid experience in anchoring and producing meteorological information, in observing and forecasting weather conditions, climate risks and disasters and reporting on the issues.
- Must have experience in the ECCAS region.
- Able to demonstrate abilities in the precise analysis of meteorological and climate data and in making solid and essential operational decisions.
- Able to use computer and mathematical, meteorological and climatic models to make short, medium and long term forecasts and prove professional experience in the aviation industry, maritime transport or in the armed forces.
- Able to demonstrate good mathematical and computational problem solving skills.
- Experience in project management.
- Have a good command of the project cycle (formulation, supervision, self-evaluation by the beneficiaries, mid-term and final evaluation);
- Have a great capacity for analysis, synthesis and drafting of reports;
- Have proven skills in using the IT tool;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Sound planning and organizational skills;
- Advanced knowledge of climate change and meteorology technical processes;
- Have experience and knowledge of one of the sectors of the application of meteorological data (agriculture and food security, health, forestry or disaster risk management);
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages and fluency in another is an added advantage;
- Good knowledge of LINUX, Windows Operating Systems and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher).
- Strategic Insight
- Developing others
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement orientation
Tenure of Appointment
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 85,212.07 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 66,751.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
13th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Qualified candidates from AU Member States within the ECCAS Region are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal-opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.