World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Roster of Consultant – GIS Support to HQ/Countries: Geospatial Health Analysts
Ref No: 2300403
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 11 months
Organization: HQ/HIS Health Information Systems Strengthening
Purpose of Consultancy
- To facilitate the provision of rapid technical expertise to the WHO GIS Centre for Health in the implementation and coordination of its GIS health-related projects in the context of COVAX and other health emergencies at global, regional, or country level.
- To enable project/team leads and health partners to take informed, strategic and/or operational decisions.
- To contribute to the design and/or implementation of geospatial programmes, manage GIS systems, collect, analyze, update, and maintain geospatial datasets pertaining to COVAX and other emergencies, coordinate field data collection, create maps and other cartographic products, deployment of geo-enabled microplanning for vaccine delivery in the context of COVAX, CoVDP (COVID vaccine delivery partnership) or other vaccine programs, as required.
- Deliverable 1: Provide the required technical expertise for the GIS Centre project team and/or country in its activities to implement the necessary aspects of geographic data, analytics, and information products to meet the requirements of the project/emergency.
- Expected by: ongoing.
- Deliverable 2: Prepare meetings, supporting documentation, reports, and technical summaries as required or requested.
- Expected by: monthly.
- Deliverable 3: Ensure the necessary preparations communication, coordination and after-actions are undertaken by developing a GIS Action plan with related milestones and goals for reporting and updates.
- Expected by: ongoing.
- Deliverable 4: Contribute to the preparation of regular project status reports, including financials and risks.
- Expected by: weekly.
- Deliverable 5: Prepare a monthly technical report on work undertaken.
- Expected by: monthly.
- A First University Degree in Information Management, Public Health, Geography, Cartography, Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, Geometrics, Computer Sciences or Earth Sciences, Information Technology, or related field from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Advanced university degree (Masters level or above) in geography, cartography, geographical information system, public health or related field.
- Adequate GIS training in lieu of non-GIS degree.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience combined at the national and international levels in GIS management using different analytical/mapping and online data management packages such as ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise/Hub, QGIS/other open source GIS software, ONA, CARTO, and statistical software (SPSS, SPLUS), etc.
- Experience in supporting field data collection in health and/or humanitarian emergency contexts.
- Strong, proven experience in stakeholder engagement, including working with international agencies, government, or multinational companies, preferably in the health, development, or humanitarian fields.
- Experience in a dynamic and fast-paced environment managing a variety of stakeholders with diverse cultural and professional backgrounds and experiences.
- Experience in health, particularly in developing countries.
- Prior humanitarian working experience at field level, with WHO/UN agencies, health partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or with an international non governmental organization.
- 5 to 10 years of project management experience applying GIS to health, policy, or government strategies and projects.
- Experience in developing, organizing, and communicating technical content for a variety of stakeholders, including liaising with senior public health professionals, technical experts, and collaborators.
- Experience in developing strategies and successful implementation plans for GIS initiatives.
Skills / Knowledge:
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and the use of complex databases, spreadsheets, and specific software such as ArcGIS, QGIS.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with multiple stakeholders in an international environment.
- Ability to manage concurrent projects across a spectrum of disciplines.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and strong business acumen.
- Ability to deliver high-quality products under very tight deadlines.
- Ability to synthesize and effectively communicate scientific and technical information.
- Aptitude to connect the dots across a wide spectrum of partners and health system functions from funding through local health care delivery.
- Strong writing abilities including demonstrated ability to work with complex and technical information and prepare briefing notes and speaking points tailored to specific needs and audiences.
- Ability to provide high-level support to meetings and events, including identifying, prioritizing action items, and ensuing effective follow-up across teams and departments.
- Strong presentation skills with excellent ability to use visualization tools such as PowerPoint.
- Band level B – USD 7,000 – 9,980 per month.
Application Closing Date
2nd March, 2023 (11:59:00 PM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online