Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center Nurse
Job ID: 230001MB
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Post Type: National
Team/Programme: Programme Development & Quality
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The Nurse will work with the Doctors to provide clinical and nutritional care for complicated cases of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) admitted at the stabilization Centre (SC).
- S/He will also maintain accurate patient records, provide input into SCI reports and actively participate in the smooth functioning of the SC.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Medical Doctor
- Staff reporting to this post: none
- Budget Responsibilities: none
- Role Dimensions: The role is expected to foster relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including Save the Children members, the Country Office Programme Development & Quality team, advocacy, operations, finance, supply chain, HR and admin colleagues and field offices.
- Context: Humanitarian and development
Key Areas of Accountability
Provision of high-quality Nursing care to complicated SAM cases:
- Admit all patients presenting into the SC in line with the admission criteria.
- Provide quality nursing clinical care to complicated cases of SAM admitted at the Stabilization Centre (SC).
- Ensure Nursing and clinical care provided at the SC is in accordance with the National guidelines for In-patient Management of SAM.
- Stabilize all critical patients in line with the protocols in collaboration with the doctor and other team members.
- Patient monitoring for patients in Phase 1, transition phase and Phase 2 in line with guidelines.
- Report any medical or clinical complications on timely basis to the doctor and other team members.
- Ensure nursing records and monitoring charts are up-to date and well maintained.
- Mentor and provide on-the-job training on stabilization care and documentation to Dieticians, help mothers deployed to the SC to ensure:
- Respect of approved protocols for management of severe acute malnutrition
- Correct use of programme monitoring and evaluation (recording) tools in reporting and recording.
- Appropriate use of resources, stock control and ordering procedures.
Programme Documentation and reporting:
- Ensure the utilization of medicines, medical supplies, nutrition-related commodities are routinely documented in the relevant tools
- Ensure timely collection and compilation of quality data for the production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all SC activities.
- Support the nurse in charge in the development of weekly and monthly reports on activities, and any other ad hoc report that may be required.
Other Program Roles:
- Ensure that quality nutrition services are provided by the help mothers at night and during the weekend in the absence of the dieticians
- Participate in weekly Nutrition related Meetings, trainings and workshops and feed information acquired back into programming.
- Organize and Participate in Nutrition education sessions for mothers./care takers in the stabilization centre.
- Carry out any other role as provided for by the Nurse team leader.
- Work and strengthen relationship with Borno State Ministry of Health and Hospital Management Board, UNICEF and other partners implementing CMAM and Stabilization Care in the State.
- Other – Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Degree or Diploma in Nursing from a recognized/accredited University in Nigeria
- At least two years post-graduation experience
- Previous experience with NGOs
- Experience in Nutrition and in community based programmes
- Training and experience on treatment of acute malnutrition
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Valid practice license
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
Additional job responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI’s global Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Gender Equality Policies, supported by relevant procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
1st April, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online