The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief of Party – Opportunities to Learn (OTL)
Requisition ID: req41831
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Scope of Work
- The IRC seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for a five-year, multi-million dollar USAID education activity already in its 2nd year in Nigeria.
- The project will equip out-of-school children and youth in northeast Nigeria with the foundational skills needed to progress to higher levels of education, training and/or engagement in the workforce.
- The COP will be responsible for ensuring the project is implemented in accordance with the terms of the USAID award (cooperative agreement), USAID regulations, principles of IRC, and internationally recognized quality of assistance standards.
- The COP will be the primary representational link with USAID staff. The position will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria where the team is based. Final selection is contingent on USAID approval.
- Provide overall leadership and technical direction for the project, ensuring completion of project deliverables.
- Responsible for the overall planning, implementation, administration, and financial management of the project, as well as the achievement of all impact goals and objectives.
- Coordinate with government and other relevant stakeholders to ensure activities complement ongoing initiatives and adhere to country and global standards.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the donor and Nigerian Ministry of Education. Report to USAID through formal and informal debriefings, annual and semi-annual reports, etc.
- Represent the project and organization at regional, national, and international forums, including technical conferences and policy briefings, and share information about project achievements and lessons learned within the organization and wider development community.
- Oversee the development, review, and monitoring of yearly work plans and project strategy documents to ensure long- and short-term priorities are on track.
- Manage project staff and consortium partners to ensure proper reporting, financial management, and compliance
- Minimum 10 years of experience designing, implementing, and managing large, complex projects that work specifically to support out-of-school children and youth through high-quality formal and non-formal education.
- Minimum three years of senior project leadership experience on USAID activities; previous experience as COP of USAID-funded programs preferred.
- Master’s Degree in Education, International Development, or related field is required.
- Significant previous experience working in conflict or crisis situations, preferably in West Africa and/or Nigeria.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with senior government officials, dignitaries, executives of NGOs, and senior members of the donor community.
- Demonstrated success incorporating innovation and participatory, flexible, and gender-sensitive programming into implementation.
- Experience working to incorporate issues of government accountability, transparency, and equity in education programs, including gender, ethnicity, and disability inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience in policy dialogue and education reform working with government and civil society organizations.
- Capacity to work well under pressure, and the ability to communicate appropriately and effectively cross‐culturally is critical.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online