Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has been supporting program activities in Nigeria for over 30 years and has long-standing relationships with Church and non-Church partners and communities throughout the country. The Nigeria country program has a diverse funding base with projects in health, nutrition, food security and agricultural livelihoods, microfinance (SILC), emergency response and peacebuilding. CRS/Nigeria currently has over 210 national and 8 international staff. With an FY22 annual budget of over USD $100 million, coupled with strong donor interest in supporting CRS’ work in the country, significant growth opportunities exist for the CP. The CP has been supporting emergency activities in the NE states since 2015 with offices in Damaturu, Maiduguri and Yola.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Job Identification: 3000408
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Shift: Day
- Transitioning Households to Recovery from Vulnerability (THRIVE) is a two-year emergency and recovery project funded by USAID and Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA).
- The project has five partners including Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Mercy Corps (MC), Women in the New Nigeria (WINN), Salient Humanitarian Organization (SHO), and the Justice Development and Peace Committee (JDPC)provide humanitarian assistance for early recovery. The THRIVE consortium targets an estimated 120,000 unique participants across nine sectors.
- The position will support the Finance department on daily transactions process for the country program in line with the catholic Relief Services policies and procedures, established accounting standards, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements to support high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable.
- As part of an experienced finance team, you will provide support to the country program during the periodic Month end closure.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Review and supporting documentation of financial transactions to ensure all required supporting documents are accurate and complete for the purpose of the transactions.
- Help ensure maintenance of all data required for processing financial transactions for assigned accounts in CRS’s INSIGHT accounting system.
- Assume access and responsibility for all the accounts payable processing in the INSIGHT system for THRIVE.
- Record and delegated financial transactions following appropriate authorizations.
- Timely review of the project’s ledger balances for correctness and accuracy.
- Help evaluate sub-recipient financial management processes in accordance with Catholic relief services policy and donor regulations, helping to strengthen the capacity of partners in financial reporting and internal control policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality of all financial information and records held by CRS.
- Prepare delegated financial reports, as needed.
- Help share information with sub-recipients and staff on financial accounting policies and procedural and monitor compliance.
- Provide support to the finance unit during CP and project-specific audit, ensuring that all necessary support documents and explanations are provided to the auditor (internal and external)
- Undertake other finance duties within the team as directed by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal – Deputy Finance Manager Maiduguri, Finance team, CoP/DCoP THRIVE, Maiduguri HoO ,THRIVE Program staff, Supply Chain Team, and Compliance team.
- External – Banking Institutions, Government Entities, Donors, Sub-recipients, and External Auditors.
- BA / HND in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration strongly preferred
- Any additional qualification in accounting such as ACA, CPA, and ACCA or equivalent are recommended.
- Minimum of two (2) years accounting experience, preferably with an International or local NGO.
- Fluency in English and Hausa is required. Competence in one of the local languages used by communities supported by THRIVE, such as Kanuri or Arabic is an advantage
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 20%.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to detect and report inconsistencies
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Familiarity with USAID regulations a plus.
- Proficient in Excel and experience with Word and PowerPoint. Knowledge of financial reporting software a plus.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
27th January, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Nigerian Nationals Only
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Experienced and qualified women are strongly advised to apply.