The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Training & Capacity Building Expert
Requisition ID: 1579
Location: Rabat, Morocco
Reports to: Principal Officer, Training and Capacity Building
Directorate/Department : African Migration Observatory/ HHS
Division: Office of the Deputy Director
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P3
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Reporting to the Principal Officer, Training & Capacity Building, the Training & Capacity Building Expert responsible for providing training/capacity building to Member States and RECs on migration data collection and management.
- Develop strategic and annual activity work-plans for his/her assigned region in line with the Observatory’s strategic goals, objectives and priorities.
- Present and defend resource requirements needed to carry out the annual regional work-plan.
- Develop technical proposals and budgets on training/capacity building in accordance with the Observatory’s strategic priorities.
- Identify, facilitate, coordinate and conduct training/capacity building and technical assistance to Member States and RECs on migration data collection and management.
- Conduct training/capacity building needs assessments of Member States/RECs on migration data collection.
- Participate in developing syllabi/curricula analysis and propose policy guidance based on identified training/capacity building needs of Member States/RECs.
- Identify and supervise consultants commissioned to undertake assignments for the Observatory, on issues related to training and capacity building.
- Monitor performance and prepare progress reports against annual work-plans and recommends changes to activities, projects and individual/team performance as appropriate to achieve and programme objectives.
- Design monitoring and evaluation systems and participate in the monitoring and evaluation of activities under his/her purview.
- Contribute to the compilation of briefing notes, strategy documents, regular regional/continental reports and white papers on migration.
- Design monitoring and evaluation systems and participate in the monitoring and evaluation of activities under his/her purview. Organize regional and continental workshops, seminars and conferences;
- Participate in relevant regional/continental working groups to ensure coordination of work plan development, implementation strategies and evaluation plans for applicable activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal Officer, Training & Capacity Building.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, Law and any relevant studies in relation to capacity building OR Bachelor’s Degree in similar fields coupled with seven (7) and ten (10) years of progressive and relevant work experience respectively. Three years out of this total needs to be at expert/specialist level.
- A professional qualification or certificate in training/capacity building.
The candidate needs to have continuous and combined experience in the following areas:
- Working on development of syllabi/curricula for capacity building programmes, relating to data collection, analysis, policy guidance, planning and implementing capacity building workshops and seminars
- Proven experience in assessing the needs of Member States and RECs in capacity building.
- Documented experience in providing training or facilitating capacity building sessions, at certificate or diploma level.
- Considerable expertise and experience in providing technical assistance/training/capacity building to governments/government agencies on issues related to migration.
- Comprehensive knowledge of curriculum development and training methods.
- Demonstrable experience in providing training/technical assistance to governments, specially in the relation to migration.
- An understanding of the African migration landscape.
- Proven experience interacting with international and regional public partner agencies.
- Proven track-record of working and liaising with high-level government and donor officials.
- Demonstrable experience in supervising and leading teams of consultants, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Demonstrable experience in drafting technical documents for executive level consumption and/or peer review.
- An understanding of the African Union way of working and managing associated relationships with Member States/RECs and partners is preferred.
- Excellent project planning and management skills for organizing, planning and executing projects from conception through implementation
- Excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to conceptualize, plan, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate programmes.
- Inter-personal skills, including experience in interacting with stakeholders and decision-makers in order to build strong collaborative relationships with governments and partners.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, in particular proven ability to write clear and concise reports;
- Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including excellent word-processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Personal commitment, goal oriented and drive for results, flexibility and respect for diversity.
- Ability to operate in a multicultural environment.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
- Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible
- Pro-active and solutions oriented
- Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish). Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage, specially French and/or Arabic.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Conceptual thinking
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for result
- Continuous improvement orientation.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 22,932.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
13th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
- The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply