African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expressions of Interest: Project Manager – TCIS
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Department issuing the request: Country Economics Department (ECCE).
Duration of the assignment: Six (6) months
Tentative date of commencement: 1 March 2023
- The African Development Bank hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following Assignment: Project Manager.
- The Corporate Information Technology Services department (TCIS) is implementing set of key strategic programs for enabling and proving capability to the business.
- As a result, the projects under these programs are expected to bring significant improvements in terms of process automation & streamlining, performance, agility, and flexibility to the business. In this regard, TCIS is looking for an independent project management consultant to provide an effective project execution and management skills for the implementation of concerned projects. In addition, the selected consultant should have knowledge and experience in business analysis. He/ She will serve as a liaison between the business community and the IT organization in order to provide business process and enabling IT solutions to meet user needs.
The Consultant’s Duties will include the following:
Leadership and Communication:
- Define, explain, and maintain a high-level, longer-term view of the assigned projects’ relationships with key strategic programs aligning with the IT Strategy of the Bank and other initiatives such as ERP SAP functional upgrade program and the like for process improving and streamlining
- Prioritize trade-offs between on-time, on-scope, and on-quality or on-budget delivery of the projects under different programs.
- Creation & management of an appropriate project governance committees.
- Manage projects teams’ interpersonal relations to build rapport inside and outside the immediate project teams, motivate through leadership and mentor development of more-junior PMs
- Engage and manage concerned project teams and key stakeholders’ expectations in line with the Business Case, demonstrating where resource estimates support (or do not support) the plan
- Engagement and management of any third parties, within the confines of the project team execution plans
- Can drive Portfolio & Project Management (PPM) process implementation (for example, a progress-tracking process to enable better forecasting of resource availability)
- Implement formal communication plans through appropriate practice of communication and organization skills.
- Develop project communication material in order to deliver the appropriate information as required by different stakeholders during the project’s lifecycle,
- Can identify the necessary level of project requirements definition for planning and scheduling purposes in collaboration with business Analysts
- Can manage above the single-project level (for example, can determine resource dependencies across multiple projects (programs).
- Confirmation of the precise project scope of the performance measures, business processes, functional modules, technical components (reports, interfaces, customizations, data conversions), user base and data to be covered
- Development and implementation of projects plans, communication plans with documentation showing approaches used within the duration of projects implementation periods
- Preparation and management of the project risk plans, issues, dependencies and project team actions, ensuring all aspects have a clear, named owner – with agreed dates
- Can determine whether advanced schedule calculations are needed – and can perform them (for example, determining schedule risk with optimistic, pessimistic and most likely times for tasks using PERT)
- Work with technical domain experts, can estimate the project’s effort from functional requirements
- Skilled at developing project scheduling plans, via MS Project or other automated management tools, and can analyze progress and trade-offs
- Capable to implement project change process, as appropriate for scope control and change processes, and debate effectively for or against project changes, as appropriate
- Preparation and management of the risk plan, issues, dependencies and project team actions, ensuring all aspects have a clear, named owner – with agreed dates
- Facilitate team conflicts and issues resolution through leadership skills sufficiently
- Can work with business management on budgets when priority trade-offs may favor on-time or on-scope delivery over on-budget.
Project Execution, Monitoring and Controlling:
- Effective project execution and management skills for the implementation of concerned projects or separate modules
- Develop and review with the functional managers, for purpose of adoption, the project management control mechanisms (Guidelines, KPI, report templates, etc.) for the follow up of the projects, from the initiation through implementation and completion phases.
- Preparation of normal PMO requirements (e.g. status reports, etc.) in conjunction with the Business Sponsor
- Monitor, control, and report progress of all assigned IT capital projects ▪ Perform risk assessments, identifying & registering risks facing concerned IT projects during their implementations and propose mitigation measure to offset these risks
- Can apply earned-value management techniques as needed, from “EVM Lite” up to and including ANSI-standard EVM on large contract projects
- Can steer collaboration with contractors on projects (for example, from RFP evaluation through acceptance), maintaining controls as required, and can successfully confront contractor PMs as needed
- Conduct post project reviews, report findings with recommendations for improvement
Required Skills and Qualifications
- At least Master’s / Engineering Degree or equivalent in Computer Sciences (or Software Engineering / Business Analysis) with a significant experience in project management skills.
- At least 07 years working experience in IT project management practice in general and specifically with a significant implementation experience in different IT Platforms such SAP, Oracle, .Net, IBM, etc., business analysis and other IT domains.,
- Require significant leadership, planning & communication and problem-solving skills and experience
- Professional certifications in project management such as Certifications PMP or Prince2, plus good background in software development life cycle (SDLC), tools and project planning software; the quality assurance process; and the change management and deployment procedures and mechanisms for delivering new project systems.
- Skilled & experienced at managing interpersonal relations to build rapport inside and outside the immediate project teams, motivate through leadership and mentor development of more-junior PMs
- Excellent analytical skills and the capacity of reasoning.
- Good communications skills in written and oral in English or French, and the capacity to communicate easily the essential information in concise and clear manner,
- Working experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS project, Visio, etc.)
- Negotiation’s skills. He/ She should have the capacity to adapt quickly, team-up easily with others and build good relationship with project team members and managers,
- A working experience in a Bank and /or a multilateral institution would be a plus.
- A working experience in Microsoft Project Server PPM would be a plus.
Application Closing Date
17th February, 2023.
Method of Application
For the attention of: IT Recruitment Team African Development Bank Corporate IT Services Department (TCIS):
Avenue Joseph Anoma,
01 B.P. 1387,
Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Email: IT_Recruitment@AFDB.ORG, Telephone: (+225) 27 20 26 22 61
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description (PDF)
Establishment of the Short List
A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest. The consultants on the shortlist will be judged on the following criteria on the basis of their updated resume.
- Level of education in general 20%
- Educational level compared to the field of mission 20%
- Years of experience in general 20%
- Number of years of experience relevant to the mission 40%