African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expressions of Interest: Board Liaison Officer – PSEG
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire (Bank’s Headquarters)
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Department Issuing the Request: General Secretariat PSEG.1
Tentative Date of Commencement: Tuesday 18 April 2023
Duration of the Assignment: The duration of the consultancy is twelve (12) months, with the option of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds
Terms of Reference for: A board liaison officer in the office secretary general and general secretariat of the african development bank
Introduction / Background
- The African Development Bank (the Bank) is a Multilateral Development Bank established in 1964 to catalyze sustainable economic development and social progress in its regional member countries (RMCs), thus contributing to poverty reduction. The Bank has 81 members consisting of 54 regional and 27 non-regional countries.
- The Division PSEG.1 (Board Affairs and Proceedings) of the Bank Group reports to the Office of the Secretary General and is mainly responsible for providing secretarial services to the Board of Governors, the Board of Directors and their subsidiary organs.
- It manages relations between these Boards and Senior Management, and coordinates statutory relations between Senior Management, the Boards and member States.
- The consultancy services being sought will be provided for the Board Affairs and Proceedings Division, PSEG.1; and the objective is to assist the division in strengthening the current capacity of its Elected Officers section.
- The consultant shall report directly to the Head of Elected Officers section, PSEG.1, and work under his/her supervision.
Objectives of the Assignment:
- The tasks of the consultant will require him/her to be fully involved in the activities of PSEG, especially those carried on by PSEG.1.
Main Activities and Deliverables
- Assist in maintaining and monitoring relations with Bank Member countries by drafting official correspondence addressed to New Governors and Alternate Governors to be signed by the President or the General Secretary of the Bank.
- Assist the General Secretariat with regular updating of information on the Governors’ platform to keep the Governors abreast of the relevant projects/activities of the Bank.
- Liaise with other departments and sections in the Bank to obtain relevant information for updating the platform.
- Assist the Elected Officers section in ensuring proper execution of Elected Officers contracts as well as staff within their Offices.
- Assist in the organization of activities of the department, including the ED’s retreat and Induction Program.
- Assist in preparing and updating the list of Governors and their Alternates as well as the Bank’s database of the Governors’ list.
- Assist the Elected Officers section with the preparation of the Meeting of the Standing Committee on the Conditions of Service of Elected Officers.
- Assist the Elected Officers section to ensure the proper execution of the contract of Elected Officers as well as the staff of their Offices.
- Assist in reviewing the Executive Directors’ Handbook and Manual and facilitating the implementation thereof.
- Assist in the general management of the operations of the Governors’ platform.
- Assist in the preparation and conduct of the General Election of Executive Directors of the Bank and selection of Executive Directors of the Fund.
- Providing translation services to all official communication materials from English to French and vice-versa.
- Contribute to the drafting and compilation of documents included in the agenda of the Boards of Governors.
- Assist in the preparation of background papers and briefs research, and tools related to Board effectiveness.
- Assist in the preparation of Annual Meetings of the Bank as well as other statutory meetings.
- Performing Administrative Duties and Any Other Duties Assigned
- The consultant shall also perform any other administrative duty, documentary research, and any other duties as required by the Head of Section, the Director or the Secretary General.
Qualifications and Experience Required
The consultant shall have the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- A Master’s Degree in Law, International relations, International Development or a related field.
Relevant Experience and Skills:
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience.
- Work experience and Knowledge of Board of Directors proceedings and meetings.
- Knowledge of the Bank’s Board of Governors’ statutory meetings.
- Strong sense of confidentiality.
- Knowledge in the management of subscriptions and payments of the ADB capital and ADF replenishment Strong written communications skills.
- Fluent in English and/or French and a good working knowledge of the other.
- Proficiency in Microsoft products including Windows, Word, Excel, Office365.
- Basic IT skills.
Application Closing Date
1st March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: NIAMKE – FRAM Joelle J. Aké via: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Any questions and requests for clarifications may be sent to: NIAMKE – FRAM Joelle J.
Aké via: email@example.com.