African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expressions of Interest: Climate Change & Green Growth Consultant – RDGS
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Start Date: Monday, 27th March, 2023
- The Climate Change and Growth Department at the African Development Bank is responsible for implementing the recently approved Climate Change Strategy (2021 – 2030) across all the operational sectors.
- The vision of the Strategy is to be instrumental in the realization of a climate-resilient, low-carbon, green, inclusive, integrated, and prosperous Africa, strongly positioned to meet the challenges posed and harness the opportunities offered by climate change and green growth, and justly transformed for the benefit of all Africans.
The objectives are:
- To give effect to the Bank’s Climate Change and Green Growth Policy through the Bank’s operations and in everyday practice.
- To mainstream and operationalize climate change and green growth in all the Bank’s complexes, departments, programs, projects, and activities.
- To guide the Bank to achieve strong and visible progress towards aligning new operations with the first three building blocks of the MDB Paris Alignment Framework by the end of 2023, with 100% alignment with the remaining three building blocks by December 2025.
- To facilitate the achievement and reporting of clear and measurable results from the implementation of the Bank’s Climate Change and Green Growth Policy
- The Climate Change and Green Growth Department seeks the services of an individual consultant (preferably local) to support the mainstreaming of climate change and green growth considerations in the strategies, plans, programmes and projects developed and implemented by the Southern African Regional Directorate.
- The assignment will also encompass providing support to key initiatives managed by the Department such as the Africa NDC Hub.
Responsibilities and Reporting
The Consultant will perform the following duties:
- Provide technical input to the preparation of internal climate change/green growth strategies, action plans, reports, operational guidelines and tools.
- Assist and advise Regional Member Countries in the preparation and implementation of climate change and green growth strategies, policies and measures taking into account commitments articulated in Nationally Determined Contributions.
- Provide technical support to Bank sector and regional operations teams on climate change and green growth mainstreaming throughout the project cycle stages.
- Provide technical support, to project teams, in mobilizing climate finance from both internal and external trust funds, in collaboration with Climate Finance Officers.
- Support the implementation of the climate risk screening and the Adaptation Review and Evaluation Procedures functions of the Banks Climate Safeguards System, as well as the Green House Gas Accounting tool.
- Support the preparation and implementation of the internal Climate Change and Green Growth Training Programmes.
- Provide technical support to the updating of operational documents (operational manual, Results Based Framework, Readiness Review Procedures, Country Strategy Papers / Regional Integration Strategy Papers and project templates) to reflect the mainstreaming of climate change and green growth.
- Support efforts to operationalize the Africa NDC Hub in the Southern Africa Regional Directorate.
- Perform additional relevant/related duties assigned by management.
- The consultant will be supervised by the Regional Climate Change and Green Growth Officer, while overall oversight will be provided by the Division Manager for Climate Change and Green Growth. A detailed work program will be agreed on commencement of the assignment.
Assignment Duration and Location:
- The assignment will be undertaken over 12 calendar months, with possibilities for extension or renewal subject to satisfactory performance. The assignment base is Pretoria, South Africa at the Bank’s Regional Office.
- However, both local and international travel are to be expected, but will account for less than 20% of the contract duration. The expected contract start date is Monday 27th March 2023. The Bank working hours are 08:00 – 18:00.
Qualifications and Experience
Qualifications, Competences and Experience required:
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Climate, Environment and Natural Resource Management, Energy Policy, International Development, Environmental Economics, or a related field.
- Minimum of ten (10) years demonstrated experience in a combination of areas including: national and international climate policies and measures i; mainstreaming of environment and climate change; green growth; project design and implementation; ’ climate, environment or green finance; proposal writing; and, operational experience – water, energy, agriculture, transport, infrastructure development sectors.
- Experience working with multilateral development banks, public or private financial institutions, and/or development organizations.
- Experience mainstreaming climate change adaptation and mitigation measures into development interventions in Southern Africa, or with field operations encompassing environment, climate change and green growth relevant activities in the region.
- Experience drafting the technical content of proposals targeting climate funds or similar multi-lateral funds.
- Experience working with a diverse stakeholder, including senior government officials, donor governments and international organisations, as well as regional institutions on climate change relevant themes.
- Strong analytical, operational, conceptual and strategic skills.
- High degree of initiative and strong record of performance with low supervisory requirements.
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to deliver tasks timely.
- Strong inter-personal skills and commitment to work in a team-oriented and multicultural environment.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Willingness and ability to work across regions should need arise (expected to be less than 20% of their time.).
- The remuneration proposed will take into account both the candidate’s financial proposal as well as the Bank’s established remuneration policy/scale that considers candidate qualifications and experience.
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2023 at 18h00 Local Time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Expressions of Interest comprising Letter of Motivation and detailed CV (PDF) to: firstname.lastname@example.org and Copy: b.osman-elasha@Afdb.org using “RDGS – Consultancy Climate Change and Green Growth” as the subject of the mail.
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description (PDF)
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Rules and Procedures for the Use of Individual Consultants.
- Kindly note that interest expressed by applicants does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit both a technical and financial proposal.
- Interested Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the email address below during the Bank’s working hours (08:00 to 18:00hrs, Monday to Thursday).
The applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- General qualification and suitability for the task to be performed 35%
- Experience in specific assignment described in the TOR 35%
- Experience with MDBs 10%
- Proficiency in English and French 10%
- Knowledge of the African Region 10%
- Only applicants who score 70% or above will be invited to submit technical and financial proposals.