African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
The Strategy and Operational Policies Department (SNSP) invites suitably qualified candidates to indicate their interest in joining the Department in the capacity below:
Job Title: Consultant Operations Analyst
Location: Given the Covid-19 pandemic and subsequent Work from Home (WFH)
mode, the consultant will telecommute until normal business resumes. Thereafter, will be based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Department issuing the request: SNSP
Duration of the assignment: 6 calendar months
Tentative Date of commencement: 1st March 2023
Brief Description of the Assignment
The services to be provided under this assignment include:
- Verification of the required information in all new operations designed and going for Management review and approval, beginning with Sovereign Operations and building onto other operations
- Support and train Task Managers and other relevant staff to meet the new reporting requirements
- Support the development of various reporting platforms; and
- Drive the work to support automation of the Revised project Classification System (RPCS) in SAP system.
- The Consultant, in the fulfilment of this exercise, will be required to liaise with the different complexes/departments of the Bank, including the focal points within the Bank.
- The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Procurement Policy for Recruitment of Corporate Consultants.
- Please, note that interest expressed by a consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
- The Consultant’s assignment may be modified for other related tasks so long as they are consistent with his/her qualification and experience.
- Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. With 80 Member countries, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries), the Bank’s development agenda is to deliver financial and technical support to transformative projects in Africa that will support the Bank’s twin objectives of inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
- In order to sharpen the objectives of the Bank Group’s Strategy 2013-2022, and ensure greater developmental impact, five major operational areas (i.e., High 5s) have been identified. The High 5s include “Light Up and Power Africa”, “Feed Africa”, “Industrialize Africa”, “Integrate Africa”, and “Improving the quality of life for the people of Africa”.
The Strategy and Operational Policies Department (SNSP):
- The Strategy and Operational Policies Department (SNSP) which is the recruiting department, plays a key role in shaping a corporate vision and a strategic perspective for the Bank, as well as developing the strategies and operational policies aimed at guiding the Bank’s agenda.
- Reporting to the Senior Vice President (SVP), the Department is responsible for:
- Developing and helping maintain (along with other units) corporate strategies and operational policies necessary for the Bank to deliver the High 5 priorities and other strategies;
- Playing a prominent role in keeping the Bank a strategy-focused organization in line with its policies
- Supporting the Bank in raising its profile and engaging strategically at international fora, as well as to foster crossfertilization and greater coordination with other MDBs and
- Leading the Bank in the development of a new culture of innovation and change, including the incubation of new financial/non-financial products and business lines.
Revised Project Classification System:
- In September 2018, Management of the Bank, approved the revision of the Project Classification System (PCS) and data collection tools to align with the Bank’s High 5 priorities. This revision would allow for monitoring the Bank’s financial contribution to the High 5’s, capturing the financial contribution to cross cutting areas such as gender and climate change.
- Additionally, as the main development bank on the continent, the Bank also has a key role to play in supporting the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Africa. To this effect, the Bank is engaged in the global dialogue on SDGs monitoring.
- Therefore, the revised PCS also included the possibility of tracking financial resources towards SDGs.
- After an extended pilot period and consultations, from September 2022, the Banks project documents, starting with Sovereign Operation, include this new information requirement. This was undertaken within a broader program of improving the Banks quality of operations. Work is ongoing to revise the SAP system to also include these new requirements.
- In this regard, the department is seeking the services of a Consultant Operations Analyst to support the implementation of the revised PCS project, integration of the new data requirements and support on-going work towards the automation of the revised PCS in SAP.
Scope of the Assignment
Under the supervision of the Manager, SNSP and the day-to-day guidance of the Revised PCS
Task Manager and other staff on the activity, the main responsibilities of the Consultant Operations Analyst are to:
- Verify the correct inclusion of the required project classification information (High 5s, subthemes, SDGs, financing, percentage allocation etc) beginning with Sovereign Investment Operations,
- Provide technical support to Task Managers and ensure the establishment of a wellfunctioning Help Desk Function to meet the new reporting requirements,
- Design top quality data reporting tools,
- Contribute to and participate in the training (virtual and physical) of task managers/operations staff on the revised PCS,
- Proactively support the on-going work to ensure automation of the revised PCS through revision of the SAP system,
- Develop and maintain collaboration with other Bank departments to ensure that the revised SAP PCS is aligned to other IT upgrade initiatives to enable synergies and sustainability of the revision,
- Contribute towards and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of the quarterly the reporting and data requirements,
- Design striking communication materials to facilitate information awareness for implementation of the program,
- Provide inputs into reports to update management on the progress of the PCS and any other reports related to the work,
- Support and work with other consultants and staff that might be recruited as part of the team, and
- Any other related assignment of the department.
- In undertaking their function, the consultant will take into account the on-going Bank wide IT data base modernization process and enhancements made to the Bank’s project SAP systems and on-going project/operation quality improvements.
- The Consultant will also support SNSP in planning, organizing and coordinating other activities of the Department, as requested.
Some of the key deliverables expected of the Operations Consultant are:
- Bank staff/ task managers in all complexes trained on the revised PCS data requirements
- Communication material developed to support its implementation.
- Help desk function fully operationalized.
- Revised SAP PS system to include the new data requirements for the Revised PCS completed, tested and rolled out.
Qualifications and experience
A proactive candidate who is committed and driven to deliver high-quality outputs. The key
selection criteria for the position include the following:
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration or Project Management with a significant experience in operations support, business/project analysis and project management skills.
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience in Operations support and/or program development.
- Competent in the use of Project Management IT platforms (SAP PS will be added advantage) and have expertise in conceptualizing, planning and proposing IT solutions that will help guide automation and implementation of the revised data needs. This will require analytical, technical skills for the creation and evolution of the Bank’s different platforms. In that respect, the consultant should be capable of analyzing the key policy and business requirements and articulate the necessary changes required to ensure delivery of a high-quality outcome.
- Experience working with AFDB in an operations support role.
- Demonstrated strong data management skills, results-orientation and problem-solving capability.
- Excellent client relationship management skills and capacity to deliver high-quality work within tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with a good working knowledge of French language and the capacity to communicate and present ideas well.
- Proven ability to collaborate within multi-cultural teams and across departments, applying a practical, diplomatic and efficient approach to problem solving.
Duration and Location of the Assignment
- The consultant is expected to start on 1st March 2023 with a contract duration of 6 calendar months.
- The consultant shall report to the task manager and the Division Manager, SNSP1. Day-to-day management of the consultancy shall be assured by the task manager.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Bank is still largely operating a working from home mode, the consultant will thus also work from their home base. Should the Bank return to full time, the consultant will also be expected to relocate to Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
- Remuneration will be commensurate with experience, in line with the Bank’s compensation guidelines.
- The consultancy fees will be paid on a monthly lump sum basis. No additional benefits or per diem will be paid unless on mission.
- For candidates who need to travel to take up this assignment, a round trip economy class air-ticket with the shortest route will be provided.
- The candidate will be responsible for obtaining personal health insurance at his or her own cost.
Application Closing Date
22nd February, 2023 (17:00 GMT).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter detailing their qualifications and experiences to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description (PDF)
Application and Evaluation Process
The prospective consultants’ expression of interest will be evaluated based on the following criteria and weights:
|1||General qualifications and adequacy for the proposed Assignment||30%|
|2||Similar experience in the area of expertise of the Assignment as
described in the Terms of Reference
|3||Experience with the Bank||20%|
|5||Knowledge of the Region||10%|
- Only consultants who will score more than 70% in the Evaluation Process will be shortlisted and invited to submit a financial proposal.
- Any questions and requests for clarifications may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .