African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expressions of Interest: Country Economist – Consultant
Location: Luanda, Angola
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Department issuing the request: Country Economics Department (ECCE).
Duration of the assignment: Six (6) months
Tentative date of commencement: 1 March 2023
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice-President for the Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex (ECVP). The Complex is responsible for
- Providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance, and socio-economic development issues;
- Coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; and
- Systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable and inclusive transformation of African economies.
- ECVP generates and provides direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management, and social economics.
Objectives of the Assignment
- In close cooperation with the Bank’s Southern Africa Development and Business Delivery Office (RDGS), and the Country office of Angola, the Country Economics Department (ECCE) in ECVP requires the services of an Individual Consultant
The Consultant’s Scope of the Work
- The Consultant Country Economist will focus on preparation of Country Strategy Papers (CSPs) and CSP Completion Reports.
- The Consultant may also be requested to support Economic and Sector Work (ESW), African Economic Outlook (AEO) country note, and Country Focus Report (CFR) and related tasks.
The Consultant shall carry out the following Specific Tasks / Activities:
- Review, improve and finalise the draft Angola Country Strategy Paper to address Country Team comments to enable further processing of the document.
- Contribute to the finalization of Angola Country Diagnostic Note (CDN) which will inform the CSP, sectoral and national policies and strategies.
- Coordinate the preparation of Angola Country Strategy Paper (2018-2022/3) Completion Report.
- Coordinate the preparation of Angola Country Strategy Paper (2024-2028), including implementing related dissemination and consultation events.
- Draft Country Notes for the Africa Economic Outlook and Country Focus Report, as well collect all the relevant data used to complete the country’s Master File, to be provided by the Bank’s Statistics Department.
- Coordinate and prepare Angola Country Policy and Institutional Assessment for 2023.
- Support the planning and dissemination of Economic and Sector Work h) Prepare country analysis briefs, economic information notes meeting briefs, participate in discussions with development partners and other management reporting documents to inform managerial decision, and support country dialogue.
Specific deliverables by the Consultant will include:
- Final Draft Angola Country Strategy Paper (2024-2028)
- Final Draft Angola Country Strategy Paper (2018-2022/3) Completion Report
- CDN, PRST Briefing Notes, CPIA, AEO/REO and other ad hoc documents
- The Consultant will be based at COAO in Luanda, Angola. The Consultant will work under the supervision of the Lead Economist, with overall guidance of the Country Manager for Angola.
Duration of Contract and Work Plan:
- The assignment will initially be undertaken during a period of six (6) months (with the option to extend the contract). The contract will commence on 21st March 2023 and end on 21st September 2023. The contract is renewable for another six months depending on performance.
The Consultant should have the following:
- Advanced University Degree (minimum M.A/MSc. Degree) in Economics or any related field or discipline.
- Relevant work experience of at least 10 years in the preparation of CSPs or similar documents, including country/regional economic analysis, etc.
- Languages: Fluency in oral and written English and Portuguese is indispensable.
- Excellent written communication and teamwork skills.
- Capacity to engage in constructive dialogue with colleagues.
- Excellent analytical skills and capacity to deliver in a timely manner, as well as practical knowledge of the standard software used in the Bank (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Long-standing work experience as an Economist, including country/regional economic analysis, knowledge of macroeconomic management issues, development economics, etc.
- In-depth knowledge and work experience in the preparation of country strategies or similar documents.
- Ability to translate and reflect economic concepts in country strategies etc.
- Knowledge of the African development context and challenges.
- Work experience/knowledge of the countries in the Southern African region desirable.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to deliver results on time.
- Problem-solving capabilities coupled with innovation skills and change management.
- Ability to work independently.
Application Closing Date
22nd February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) in (English Language) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “ANGOLA COUNTRY ECONOMIST – CONSULTANT” as the subject of the mail.
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description 1 (PDF)
Click here for the Job Description 2 (PDF)
- General qualifications and adequacy for the assignment: 35%
- Similar experience in the specific assignment as described in the Terms of Reference:45%
- Experience with international donor agencies and/or AfDB:10 %
- Knowledge of the region (Angola highly desirable):5%
- Knowledge of English and Portuguese:5%