The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: 3-year renewable contract
- Receive planting, crossing, harvesting, and seed processing instructions for parental lines of hybrids from scientists and ensure implementation of planned activities in different locations.
- Coordinate all field operations, including seed preparation, planting, thinning, shoot covering, and pollination in crossing blocks and multiplication fields of inbred lines at Ibadan under rain-fed and irrigated conditions.
- Ensure storage of seeds of parental lines of hybrids in an orderly manner to facilitate retrieval system.
- Make requests for required field tags as well as pollination and glassine bags for various crossing blocks at Ibadan.
- Review availability of maize inbred lines for trials.
- Coordinate and plan isolation of breeder seed production fields.
- Coordinate labor allocation for thinning, shoot covering, pollination, harvesting, threshing, and seed preparation throughout the year.
- Participate in screening of maize inbred lines, varieties and hybrids for carotenoid concentration and content.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- BSc / HND in Agriculture, Crop Science, with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience performing similar role in a well-structured environment.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have good communication skill (writing, reading and speaking)
- Have ability to work with little or no supervision.
Application Closing Date
24th February, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague, and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.