The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Expression of Interest for (EOI) Consultancy Services: Accounting Officer
Financing Agreement reference: 2100155041681
Project ID No. P-Z1-AA0-139
- The International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) has received financing from the African Development Bank toward the cost of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) Phase II and intends to apply part of the agreed amount for this grant to payments under the contract for TAAT Accounting Officers who will be based in Nigeria.
- This assignment is to engage two (2) Accounting officers to support the Financial Management specialist in managing and carrying out financial management tasks to support program implementation across all the compacts and countries of TAAT operations.
- Specifically, the consultant will be expected to perform the following duties: maintain a proper system of financial management ensuring availability, accuracy and completeness of all accounting records and documentation and information pertaining to all project transactions at all material times throughout project implementation and any length of a subsequent time frame as may be determined; process accounting transactions with Oracle ERP;
- Ensuring compliance with institutional and AfDB policies and guidelines in executing program expenses; assist in monitoring compact budgets, expenses, and fund status; maintain the Program Fixed Assets Register with regular updates and verification;
- Prepare monthly bank accounts reconciliation statements and cash balance certificates;
- Prepare and follow-up timely approval of disbursement request to AfDB. Ensure that all supporting documents used in request for funds replenishment from the AfDB as well as payments for project activities, goods, and services are properly kept; assist with the preparation and submission of quarterly consolidated financial reports to donor;
- Assist with the preparation and submission of annual consolidated financial statements; interact and assist with the requirements of internal auditors, external IITA auditors and external TAAT Program auditors during spot checks and annual audit processes; interact with partner institutions in the program, review their reports and requests in line with donor guidelines and assist with final submission of the reports and requests to the donor;
- Interact with program staff, institution staff and other parties on financial management matters for effective resolution of related issues; process payments on duly approved invoices with relevant support documents;
- Process cash and travel advances for program staff, maintaining advance registers and ensuring all advances are duly retired within the required time frame; ensure all program transactions are posted in the general ledger accounts correctly before monthly accounts closure;
- Ensure proper coding and filing of accounting and financial documents; assist the Procurement Team by participating in tender opening and bid evaluations and perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- The selected Consultants will be members of TAAT PMU to be based in Nigeria and the assignment shall be for an initial period of One (1) year and subject to renewal with satisfactory performance
- The selected consultants should possess Bachelor’s Degree in Financial Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Commerce, or any other relevant discipline;
- Institute of Chartered Accountant (ICAN) Certified Associate or related accounting certification; or demonstrated working knowledge of AfDB project financial management rules and procedures;
- At least 5 years of Project accounting work experience with minimum of 2 years in projects financed by the AfDB or related Multilateral development bank; ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues and Sound computer literacy in using standard applications (Windows and Microsoft Office).
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (including their detailed CV and letter of motivation detailing past related experience similar to this assignment.).
Expressions of Interest (EOI) should be delivered by e-mail to: C.Akem@cgiar.org and copy to: email@example.comI
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours (0800-1630hrs):
Attn: Chrysantus Akem; PhD,
TAAT Program Coordinator | Program Management Unit
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture,
Headquarters & West Africa Hub,
PMB 5320, Oyo Road, Ibadan 200001, Oyo State, Nigeria
International Mailing Address: IITA,
Carolyn House, 26 Dingwall Road, Croydon, CR9 3EE, UK
Email: C.Akem@cgiar.org and copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +234 2 7517472 | USA Tel: +1 201 6336094 | Fax: +44 208 7113785 | Mobile No: +234 8169020531
Click here for more information (PDF)
- Eligibility criteria, establishment of the shortlist and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the African Development Bank’s Procurement policy framework, October 2015, which is available on the Bank’s website