The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting suitable applicants for the position below at the Institute’s project location in Damaturu:
Job Title: Youth-led Enterprise Development and Gender Officer
Ref. No: IITA–HR–NRS2023–006
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Recruitmrnt Type: National (1–year renewable contract)
Contract: 1–year renewable contract
- Identify training needs and develop business opportunities in the agricultural value chain and non-farm enterprises for youth and women.
- Scope Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) business opportunities with special emphasis on youth and women agribusiness development.
- Gender mainstreaming and Social Inclusion (GESI) in intervention activities.
- Build on local platforms and scope project partners in Government, NGO and private sectors for effective layering and enterprise sustainability.
- Develop and conduct enterprise trainings in the value chain, economic and financial literacy, cooperative management and micro credit administration.
- Collect data on training and enterprise development activities and report periodically.
- Mentor Small and Growing Business (SGBs) and linkage to finance, input and output markets.
- Support youth and women participants to develop bankable business plans and commercially viable business models along the agricultural value chain and nonfarm enterprises.
- Train youth and women participants in record keeping and business management.
- Support the development of appropriate financial products targeting rural youth and women in consultation with collaborating financial institutions.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- B.Sc / HND in Gender Studies, Sociology, Business Administration or any other related field with a minimum of six (6) years’ experience performing a similar or related role in a well-structured organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have an excellent understanding of issues related to agriculture in the relevant North-East Nigeria.
- Have experience working on field surveys, assessments, data analysis, and management.
- Have ability to work under minimal supervision and with tight deadlines.
- Have ability to work with minimum supervision and good driving skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented multicultural environment.
- Have ability to deliver accurate and timely reports.
- Have Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) skills.
- Have the ability to travel extensively within the relevant state.
- Have capacity in infographics and technical report writing skill.
- We offer highly competitive salaries with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
27th February, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (PDF)
- Interested applicants should complete the online application by attaching a detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague, and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.