Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer – Hygiene Promotion
Job ID: 230001MS
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Post Type: National
Team: Yobe Field Office
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- To support implementation of WASH component of project including follow up of community hygiene groups, and collaboration with WASH stakeholders at state/LGA levels.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: WASH Coordinator
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Accountability
Objective 1 – Take the lead on the rehabilitation/construction of water and sanitation facilities at FSL sites:
- Carry out field visits to assess sites at the respective facilities and in conjunction with the SCI Nutrition &Health team towards determining the needs and requirement for action and implementation.
- Work with the Logistic Coordinator and Finance and Grants Compliance Team to identify and contract vendors to ensure the planned activities are in accordance with the specified designs and standard.
- Prepare weekly plans and schedule of work for all construction/rehabilitation sites, while ensuring compliance in meeting and reaching deadlines and targets.
- Work with and support the vendors to ensure all materials and equipment are in stock and any necessary orders are placed for all actions to be carried.
- Provide interpretation to designs of work and work according to specifications.
- Establish a site book at each location and make report on progress registered in the site book while ensuring signingin with remarks.
- Must adhere strictly to standards and ensure quality of materials used by the contractors falls within the utmost standard.
Objective 2 – Take the lead on integration of hygiene promotion into FSL programming:
- Carry out regular supportive supervision visits on hygiene promotion to SC integrated projects.
- Build the capacity of partners and SCI staffs on hygiene promotion
- Ensure that community mobilisation approaches on the project fully integrate hygiene promotion concepts.
- Engage community leaders and other key stakeholders at LGA level on hygiene promotion.
- Liaise with RUWASSA and the LGA WASH departments on WASH programming and ensure that all activities are done with their active participation and support
- Provide support on WASH to other SCI programmes and initiatives when required
- Ensure that WASH is integrated into trainings carried out on relevant SC projects
- Carry out advocacy visits to key stakeholders at both state, LGA and community levels.
- Support periodic evaluation studies to evaluate the impact of the WASH component.
- Contribute technical expertise to donor proposals for any future projects
Objective 3 – Monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities:
- Prepare a monthly plan of field activities and share with relevant staff.
- Develop and implement tools for monitoring of WASH activities in collaboration with the M&E team.
- Timely collection and analysis of data for the monitoring of the activity.
- Identify the problems in the implementation process and propose solutions.
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement.
- Prepare activities’ reports and other ad hoc reports according to agreed timelines and as required
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility.
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations.
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function.
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively.
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills and Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- First Degree in Health Education, Geology, Geography or other WASH-related fields from a recognized/accredited Tertiary Institution in Nigeria.
- At least three years’ post-graduation experience.
- Advanced degree will be an added advantage.
- Previous experience with other local and international NGOs.
- Experience in Nutrition and in community based programmes.
- Training and experience on borehole and VIP latrine construction/rehabilitation Community mobilisation and advocacy experience.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint).
- Fluency in English and Hausa, spoken and written.
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO staff.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work within a team setting.
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility with good workload management, multitasking and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
Application Closing Date
1st April, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.