Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Coordinator
Job ID: 230001MI
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Grade: National 3
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team/Programme: WASH – (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Yobe Field Office
- Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g once a week or more) or intensively (e.g four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The WASH Coordinator is responsible for an effective implementation of WASH Strategy including all WASH activities at community, school and health facilities in coordination with Nutrition, Child Protection, Community Mobilization, Education, Health and Food Security and Livelihoods sectors in Yobe State Nigeria.
- The post will manage the implementation of all WASH interventions, is also responsible for WASH sectoral assessments, programme design and budgeting, coordination, and will support fundraising, staff management, recruitment and procurement for the WASH sectors.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: WASH Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: approx. Three WASH Officers (Hygiene Promotion / Infrastructure)
Key Areas of Accountability
Technical and Management:
- Lead on WASH technical assessments in coordination with other Save the Children thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Responsible and accountable for ensuring the timely, efficient and effective delivery of the grants and Monitor monthly variances in the work plan and unmet targets, and design and apply corrective measures to remain on track and to facilitate resolution of problems in a participatory way.
- Provide inputs to the development of concept notes, proposals, WASH strategy, details implementation plans and master budgets;
- Identify priorities and technically assist on assessments, designing and overseeing KAP and other surveys.
- Identify key gaps in WASH facilities and minimum standards in the WASH interventions by providing technical checking of WASH engineering and hygiene promotion aspects of the programme and proactively promote high quality WASH technical approaches for the response;
- Design and run water supply, sanitation and hygiene interventions as per national and SPHERE standards, Common Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and Red Cross Code of Conduct etc.
- Prepare and oversee WASH programme implementation to ensure timely delivery of programme activities.
- Prepare timely programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SCI requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Develop program management/implementation tools for WASH programs in communities, schools, CFS and health facilities
- Working closely with the HR team, identify staffing needs (national) for WASH officers, and ensure timely recruitment and induction of new staff.
- Work closely with the Logistics and Finance teams, to identify WASH programme supplies needs and coordinate to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan, budget and supply chain.
- Coordinate with other partners and other relevant authorities and administration to ensure coordinated implementation;
- Participate in WASH Sector Coordination meetings, WASH WG meetings, sharing information from Save the Children programmes.
- Coordinate with other sectors (Nutrition, Child Protection, Education, Health, Food Security and Livelihoods etc.) to ensure integration in program.
- Work closely with the MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) team put in place a sector MEAL plan, IPTT and Complaint Feedback Mechanism (CFMs), ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity build technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- Identify learning needs of WASH team and mentor team · Develop capacity-building plan for WASH team and implement it in coordination with HR and line manager.
- Maintain growth of team through appropriate measures e.g. create learning and sharing environment, on-the job training · Coordinate with community mobilization team and other sectors for capacity building of community-based organization/groups and volunteers involved in WASH program.
- Oversee development of technical training material that will improve aspects of WASH work within Save the Children, at country level.
Representation & Advocacy & Organizational Learning:
- Take steps to document lessons learned, from WASH programmes, for wider dissemination.
- In collaboration with Senior Programme staff, assist in advocacy activities that target decision-makers at all levels.
- To identify opportunities and material to contribute to WASH communications and media work.
- Attend relevant meetings and represent SCI at State level WASH Coordination and WASH Sector WGs.
- Facilitate field visits by donors and Save the Children Member representatives.
- Comply with Save the Children Policies and Practice with respect to Child Protection, CSG, Code of Conduct, Anti-Harassment (PSEA), health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Any other tasks assigned by line manager to achieve the objectives of position.
Qualifications and Experience
- Progressive management/coordination experience of working in an emergency and long-term WASH program;
- Education on Sanitary Engineering, Public Health / Civil engineering or a related subject.
- At least 5 years of working experience with 2 years in humanitarian context.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports.
- Excellent communication skills and good knowledge of English.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in challenging and dynamic working circumstances.
- Knowledge of Save the Children systems and ways of working.
- Experience of BHA, GAC, ECHO, EU funded project.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters · Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
Application Closing Date
1st April, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.