The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Education Project Manager
Job Identification: 10416
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Job Category: Education
Job Schedule: Full time
Contract Type: 12 months contract-possible renewal
Grade: 8 on NRC salary scale
Our organization and the context in Nigeria:
- NRC has been present in Nigeria since 2015 and has been working to help displacement affected communities meet their basic needs, improve their livelihoods, access essential services, and enhance their resilience to future shocks through our six core competencies: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter, Education, Information-Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS), Camp Management, and Protection from Violence. NRC provides immediate assistance during the onset of emergencies through the rapid response mechanism (RRM). With a workforce of 370 staff and presence in key locations such as Maiduguri (in Borno State), Yola (in Adamawa state) and Jos (in Plateau state), NRC is able to respond to the needs of those affected by the conflict across North-East, and North Central Nigeria.
- NRC’s Education Core Competency is currently implementing projects focused on support to formal education and nonformal literacy, numeracy and vocational classes including teacher training, construction of temporary learning spaces, community mobilization and training for school-based management councils with funding from ECHO, the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Education Cannot Wait and UNICEF.
Role and Responsibilities
- The Education Project Manager is responsible for the effective implementation of the NRC education portfolio at area level, and represents NRC at coordination forums, as delegated by the Area Manager. This position is a key member of the Area Management Group.
- Line management for education CC (core competencies) project team leader and officers in the area;
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance, and procedures;
- Contribute to the development of country and area education CC (Core Competency) strategies; initiate and participate in the development of education CC projects;
- Coordinate and manage the education project implementation (activities, budget, spending plans, workplans, report and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements;
- Implement technical direction and ensure high technical quality of projects;
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Manager and the CC Specialist;
- Ensure that projects target programme participants who are the most in need of protection; explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Develop and manage project budget (in cooperation with Education CC Specialist) and coordinate across CCs
- Ensure recruitment and capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders;
- Promote the rights of IDPs (Internal Displaced People)/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
We look for someone that has the following:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience from a management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context;
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal;
Preferably you also have:
- Knowledge of the context in Adamawa State
- Behavioural competencies necessary for this role are:
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiating action and change
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing performance and development
What we Offer
- At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
Application Closing Date
5th May, 2023 (12:59 AM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility
- This position is open only to nationals of Nigeria.