African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
The African Legal Support Facility (ALSF) invites applications for the position below:
Job Title: Expression of Interest for Associate Legal Counsel – ALSF
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
General Information About ALSF
- The African Legal Support Facility (“ALSF” or the “Facility”) is an international organization hosted by the African Development Bank in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. The ALSF’s main objectives include:
- Assisting African governments in defending against litigation brought against them by vulture funds (and other such entities);
- Providing legal advisory services to African governments in the structuring and negotiation of complex commercial transactions related to extractives and natural resources, infrastructure, public-private partnerships (PPPs), energy, sovereign debt (“Key Sectors”) and related commercial agreements;
- Capacity building for lawyers and government professionals related to the above; and (iv) development of knowledge products.
- The Governance structure of the Facility consists of:
- The Governing Council,
- The Management Board, and
- A Director.
- The Corporate secretary and Legal Manager of the Corporate affairs Division serves as the institutional memory of the ALSF and shall provide the Director, the members of the Governing Council and Management Board with legal advice, key information and documentation on a timely basis to enable them to make informed decisions.
- The Corporate affairs Division shall ensure quality control and compliance with the Facility’s policies, as well as with rules and procedures and best international practices. The contract agent shall be part of the Corporate Affairs Division and shall assist the Director and the Legal Manager of the Corporate Affairs Division.
Duties & Responsabilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Assignment include:
- Assist in the Preparation of Board and Council documentation, including advisory notes, background notes, briefs and presentations.
- Assist organizing the ALSF’s statutory organs’ meetings. This includes preparation of correspondence and documentation for the relevant meetings Ensure maintenance and update of list of Resolutions and Decisions and compliance with the same including follow up on implementation.
- Assist in the review of the ALSF’s basic documents;
- Ensure that all the final institutional documents are accurately translated and shared with the Management Board and Governing Council and with the team
- Perform such other assignments as may be required from time to time by Management.
- The consultant will report to the Legal Manager of the Corporate affairs Division who will adequately brief and guide the consultant.
Administration / Reporting:
- The Contract Agent will report to the Legal Manager of the Corporate affairs Division who will adequately brief and guide the Contract Agent.
- Duration and duty station The assignment will last for an initial duration of six months (6) months, starting as soon as the recruitment process is completed. The Contract Agent will be based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- At least a Master’s Degree in Law, plus admission to the Bar of (or Diploma to practice Law in) a member of the African Development Bank; or a First university Degree plus a relevant combination of academic qualifications in Law e.g.; Juris Doctor (JD) plus admission to the Bar of (or diploma to practice law in) a member country;
- Citizenship of a member country of the ALSF;
- At least five (5) years of relevant professional experience with an established international law firm, and/or international financial institution, with proven technical competence and experience in international law;
- Demonstrated diplomatic skills
- Demonstrated effective coordination skills and an ability to work under pressure in a multicultural environment to complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- Excellent written and oral skills in English and/or in French (fluency in both languages will be an advantage);
- High level of integrity, moral values, discretion and confidentiality;
- Competence in the use of standard IT software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- The consultant will receive a monthly lump sum rate based on his/her experience.
- No additional benefits or per diem will be paid. The individual consultant is responsible for his/her own health insurance and own accommodation costs
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2023. at 18:00 hours, Abidjan local time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Expressions of interest by email at the address below and specifically mentioning “Associate Legal Counsel”.
For the attention of: The Legal Manager of the Corporate affairs Division
Mrs. Carmen FREIRE DA COSTA,
African Legal Support Facility (ALSF),
CCIA Plateau, 01 B.P. 1387,
Abidjan 01, Côte d’Ivoire
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org, Telephone: +225 27 20 26 42 34
Click here for more information
Click here for the Job Description (PDF)
Establishment of the Shortlist
A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established at the end the request of expressions of interest. The consultants on the shortlist will be judged on the following criteria on the basis of their updated resume.
- Level of education in general 20%
- Educational level compared to the field of mission 20%
- Years of experience in general 20%
- Number of years of experience relevant to the mission 40%.
- The establishment of a shortlist and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the ALSF’s Procedures. Please, note that interest expressed by a candidate does not imply any obligation on the part of the ALSF to include him/her in the shortlist.
- Interested candidates may obtain further information at the address below during the ALSF’s working hours: 08:00 to 17:00 hours.
- Expressions of interest must be received at the address below no later than 28 February 2023 at 18h00 local time and specifically mentioning.