African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Renewable Energy Investment Officer (Equity)
Position Number: 50108336
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL4
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Years Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”. The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The Hiring Department
- The Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) is a multi-donor Special Fund managed by the African Development Bank. It provides catalytic finance to unlock private sector investments in renewable energy and energy efficiency. SEFA offers technical assistance and concessional finance instruments to remove market barriers, build a more robust pipeline of projects and improve the risk-return profile of individual investments.
- The Fund’s overarching goal is to contribute to universal access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy services for all in Africa, in line with the New Deal on Energy for Africa and Sustainable Development Goal 7.Established in 2011 in partnership with the government of Denmark, SEFA has since received contributions from the governments of the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and Germany, and also from the Nordic Development Fund and the Global Energy Alliance for the People and Planet.
- SEFA in anchored in the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Department (PERN).
- The department has the broad objective of promoting the development of renewable energy – both large and small scale – and promoting energy efficiency along with clean cooking.
- More specifically, the department is mandated to (i) function as a one-stop source / hub for renewable energy programmes/projects, energy efficiency and clean cooking (ii) focus on “enabling market development” with an emphasis on developing new approaches / areas (e.g. mini-grid programmes, thematic or country focused funds) and play a lead role in establishing region- or country-specific programmes (iii) mobilise concessional resources as part of the structuring of blended finance finance solutions for projects and programmes.
- The Principal Renewable Energy Investment Officer (Equity) will support and assist across a range of activities linked to the origination, financial structuring, and implementation of renewable energy investments – with a focus on equity and quasi-equity instruments – and support the implementation of SEFA private sector activities and initiatives.
- The job holder will focus on (i) the identification, appraisal, and implementation of renewable energy projects or initiatives, such as corporate platforms, equity and debt funds; (ii) leadership and/or support to the implementation of SEFA blended finance transactions; and (iii) portfolio management of projects and fund investments under the responsibility of PERN and SEFA; and (iv) support to any other priorities assigned by management.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Division Manager – Renewable Energy Funds, the Principal Renewable Energy Investment Officer will perform the following:
- Support the identification and development of a robust investment pipeline, with a focus of financial intermediaries in the equity and debt space covering both grid-connected and decentralized renewable energy projects.
- Lead the preparation, due diligence/appraisal, negotiation/closing, and supervision of renewable energy investments, with a focus on equity and quasi-equity instruments.
- Develop innovative financial structures for complex transactions, including through the blending of concessional/climate capital with commercial funding.
- Support the development of financial solutions and instruments to overcome identified bottlenecks to the scale-up of renewable energy in Africa.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, especially regional renewable energy and energy access developers and sponsors, utilities, corporates, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities.
- Supervise existing portfolio of investments in closed-ended equity and debt funds, ensuring strong synergies with Bank activities at the country and project levels, including co-financing opportunities.
- Lead/Participate and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff, advise management, share knowledge and ideas, to ensure strong and effective internal cooperation and delivery of results.
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Division Manager or Director.
Competencies (Skills, Experience and Knowledge)
- At least a Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Business, Engineering, Energy and a professional qualification such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Chartered Accountant (ACCA) or related subjects.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years professional experience at project level, broad knowledge of various energy sub-sectors, including renewable energy technologies and business models.
- Deal structuring and closing experience with investing through intermediaries, notably private equity funds, debt funds and commercial Banks.
- Experience in Multilateral or Development Bank / Development Financial Institutions operations, preferably in an African context (added advantage).
- Experience in climate finance mobilization and blended finance structures and solutions.
- Full knowledge of the principles of project cycle management and project implementation;
- Strong interpersonal and client orientation skills, with proven experience in building and managing teams.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Application Closing Date
3rd March, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This advertisement is posted by the African Development Bank (AfDB) on behalf of the Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) which is the employer for this position. engagement as staff of SEFA does not offer any expectation for future employment as staff in the AfDB.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)